Jacket potatoes or baked potatoes are an excellent accompaniment to many a meal – quiche/frittatas, chilli, leafy or non-leafy salads or just on their own. I have outlined the method below with some of our favourite fillings for ideas.
You can speed up cooking by placing potatoes in the microwave for a bit but they just do not taste as good.
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees, fan bake
- Wash potatoes if necessary and rub a bit of cooking oil over each potato
- Bake for 20 minutes then turn the heat down to 190 degrees and bake until skin is crispy and inside is soft. (45-60 mins)
- To test inside for softness, poke with a fork and when it easily glides through, they are done!
- Slice a cross along the top of the potato and squeeze so the potato fluffs out a bit.
- Add your favourite topping.
Alternatively, just cut one line down the length of the potato for a more stuffed appearance.
Au naturel: – butter, salt and pepper
- Prepare potato as above and when cooked, add a knob of butter and salt and pepper to taste. The butter melts through the potato and it is just super yummy
Au naturel & cheese:
- As above but with grated cheese on top.
Tuna: – filling is enough for two
- 1x can tuna
- 1 small tin sweet corn (optional)
- salt & pepper
- grated cheese (optional
- When potatoes are nearly cooked, drain tuna and flake up with a fork
- Add mayonnaise and sweet corn and mix thoroughly
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- When potato is ready and open, add filling and sprinkle with cheese
Baked beans and cheese: – A classic.
- 1x can baked beans
- grated cheese
- salt & pepper
- Simply heat beans when potatoes are nearly cooked and then when ready, pour into potato and salt & pepper and cheese on top
- This is perfect if you made nachos or burritos and have left over mix. Simply reheat and place in the potato with some grated cheese on top.
Cheese, tomato and pepperoni:
- Slice cherry tomatoes either in half or small pieces
- Dice pepperoni
- Add cheese, tomatoes and pepperoni to potato
Bacon tomato and cheese:
- Dice and crisp up bacon, slice tomatoes and grate cheese
- Mix gently and then add to potato
Ham/bacon and mushroom:
- Dice ham/bacon and mushrooms and then grate cheese
- soften mushrooms in pan with bacon (if using) and add to potato with cheese