Donated by good friend and founder of Think Electric Bikes, Jonno. A delicious winter warmer that can be made in a heart beat and last the week!
If you are using couscous instead of rice, when the chilli has 10 minutes left of simmering, pour boiling water over it, cover and leave for 8 mins before flaking up and serving. Add a dash of cumin or paprika to the mix for extra flavour.
- 1 can veggie mince (you could use beef or lamb mince for this, too.)
- 1 can tomatoes
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 onion
- 8 button mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- natural/greek yoghurt
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice (or couscous)
- dash of cooking oil
You will need:
- Frying pan & spatula
- Deep saucepan with lid & wooden spoon
- Chopping board & sharp knife
Method: (prep time: 5 mins; cook time: 20-25 mins)
- Add 2.25 cold cups water to sauce pan, with rice, set heat to high.
- Slice mushrooms into chunk and dice onion.
- On medium heat heat oil in frying pan and add mushrooms and onion, cook until soft.
- When rice water boils, turn heat down to low, add the lid and simmer for 20 mins.
- Add mince to frying pan and soften.
- Add tomatoes and kidney beans, stirring constantly.
- Add chilli powder to taste, 1 1/2 tsp should give reasonable kick!
- Let chilli simmer for 20 minutes.
- When 20 mins are up on the rice, remove from heat and leave for 10 mins.
- Serve rice on plate with chilli on top and a dollop of yoghurt on the side.