Wonderful winter comfort food! This also works well with veggie/Quorn mince.
- 400g lamb mince
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 500ml beef stock (or 500 ml boiled water with 2tsp bovril)
- 6 medium potatos and 1 large kumara (kumara optional, can just use more potato)
- 400g mixed vegetables (carrots, sweet corn and peas)
- dash of milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- Dash of cooking oil, salt and pepper
You will need:
- deep saucepan
- large frying pan
- casserole dish
- spatula + wooden spoon
- sink with warm soapy water for washing hands with raw meat
- Preheat oven fan bake to 180 degrees.
- Boil 500 ml water in the kettle and add to deep saucepan. (if using bovril, prepare here)
- Add cooking oil, salt and pepper to frying pan.
- Peel and chop potatoes, adding to sauce pan each time to prevent browning.
- If using kumara, do not add to water yet.
- When all potatoes chopped, turn element to medium heat and stir occasionally.
- Turn frying pan element on to medium-high heat and add vegetables.
- When vegetables are browned, add mince, crumbling through your fingers.
- Stir together for 30 seconds.
- Add tomato puree and stock, stirring through until mince is browned and sauce is reduced. (approx 15 mins).
- At the same time, add kumara to sauce pan and cook until soft. (approx 5 mins)
- Once reduced, add frying pan mixture to casserole dish and spread evenly.
- When the potatoes are soft, drain and add back to sauce pan, with butter and dash of milk.
- Mash thoroughly and spread atop the mince.
- Place in oven for approx 25-30 mins, until golden brown and crispy on top.
- Wash up while waiting.
- When cooked, take out of the oven and leave to rest for 5 mins before serving.