This is a simple recipe which is tasty mild or spicy. Recipe credit to my good friend Andy, who is a kitchen genius!
- 4 chicken thighs (or 2 chicken breasts)
- 6 chopped, deseeded tomatoes (or 1 can tinned tomatoes, unflavoured)
- 12 button mushrooms chopped in half
- 1/2 cup of couscous
- salt & pepper
- berbere spice (alternatively mix chili powder, paprika, all spice, cadamom and nutmeg)
- 1 tbsp butter/cooking oil
You will need:
- 1x large frying pan
- sharp knife and chopping board
- sink with warm, soapy water for rinsing between handling raw meat
Method: (Prep time: 10 mins; cooking time: approx 20 mins)
- Halve your mushrooms, chop tomatoes and set aside
- Chop chicken into medium chunks
- Add butter/oil to frying pan with dash of cumin and 1-2tbsp berbere depending on how spicy you want it to be.
- Turn on element to medium heat.
- Add chicken to frying pan and stir until sealed and slightly brown. (approx 5 mins)
- Add tomatoes stir and add 1/2 cup water as it reduces. (5 mins)
- Add couscous to the frying pan and stir through. You may need to add more water. (5-8 mins)
- When everything is cooked, add the mushrooms and stir. (1-2 mins)