No one likes a messy cook in the kitchen, so here are some tips to keep the kitchen clean and your cooking efficient.
- Get out all the ingredients you need and place them where they need to be. (i.e by the chopping board, or near the stove top)
- If you are using raw meat, fill the sink with warm, soapy water so you can quickly rinse when swapping to other tasks to avoid contamination.
- If you need to chop meat and veges, chop the vegetables first, then the meat to save washing up later.
- Time-block – while something is simmering or in the oven, prepare the next step.
- Wash up as you go to save time and keep you focused on the task at hand.
- Use timers for each stage.
- When you finish with pots/pans, clean them or leave to soak.
- Clean up after dinner, getting into that habit will really help.
- If you have done most beforehand, you will have little to clean up.
- Before you drain the sink (unless it is scummy), wipe down all the surfaces you used with a cloth. It won’t take long and makes the weekly cleaning far easier.